Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic has insisted that he is over a troublesome knee injury that he first picked up in 2011.

The Serbian suffered the injury in a shock defeat to Basel in the Champions League in December 2011 and has endured various spells on the sidelines.

However, the 32-year-old appears to have turned a corner having played the full 90 minutes in each of United’s first three Premier League outings this summer and he believes that he is finally over the persistent problem.

“It does not worry me because I’m feeling well, I’m training well,” said Vidic.
“The injury I had, it was like an accident on the pitch – some player stood on my leg and I had the ligament problem.

“And afterwards, because of that, I got another problem, a knee injury – but that was a consequence of the injury I had before.”

The defender doesn’t believe that the serious injury has caused him to approach the game any differently to how he did before, adding, “I believe I’m still playing the same way.

“It helps when you go through pre-season, and that’s why I’m glad I’ve been through pre-season.
“I had a good four, five weeks of training, and that helps. If I start with an injury and join the team in December, they’re all fully fit, they’ve played many games and they’re in form.
“Now I start at the same level as them, and I can gradually go up and be better.”